Monday, December 1, 2014

An Attitude of Gratitude

I hope everyone had a great week with Thanksgiving! Not going to lie, super jealous of Pie Night and the annual Nerf gun war. It looked pretty intense. But Thanksgiving here in little Nogent-sur-Marne, France, was a day to remember and a day for much gratitude.

This week was a bit rough, okay really rough for my dear companion, and I am so grateful for Thanksgiving to keep my focus on being grateful. I've kept a gratitude journal since May of 2011, but slacked off pretty bad in recent years. Well, since in the field, I haven't missed a day and boy am I glad. It is such a blessing to look back on the day and see the blessings and miracles of each day, because believe it or not, there are many. Even on the harder days here, I've seen great blessings and because I've written them down, I seem to only remember the good things in the days.

It was a week of finding, and to no avail. I know that no effort is wasted, but it really hit Soeur Stevens and overwhelmed her. The stress of being a trainer, most of the responsibilities still on her, the lack of cooperation from the ward, and all of our appointments falling through pretty much crushed her this week until she broke on Saturday during comp. inventory. It was good to just get it all out and let her express her worries, frustrations, and thoughts. It's different dealing with different personalities, maturities, experiences, etc. but I know every person is put into our lives for a reason. I am grateful for opportunities to work with and serve with others.

I am optimistic for the coming week. I'm so pumped to work with members and get to know them and get things rolling again. I pray for the members and Sr. Stevens, our district, me, and pretty much just everyone to find the strength to do this work, because it is not just the work of missionaries. It is a church wide work, everyone is needed.

You've heard the phrase, "the true and living church" I'm sure a thousand times, but the word "living" really hit me this week. How can a church be living? It's a church. Well, I read in Doctrine and Covenants 1:30 that phrase, and after pondering and reading scriptures it came to me that Jesus Christ is the head of His church. He lives, therefore the church lives. Revelation continues, the Priesthood is real, therefore the church is not dormant nor stagnant, IT LIVES. It is the true and living gospel/church of Jesus Christ on the earth. SO cool. Probably self-explanatory, but I thought it was cool.

I wish you all the best of weeks. I know Jesus Christ lives. This is His gospel. It is the best thing in this world and I am so grateful to be a missionary and preach His gospel.

Avec amour,

Soeur Kate Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment